While pregnancy is a time of drastic change, it is also a great time to document these changes, and many women cannot wait to show off their growing bumps.
Of course, not every woman feels completely comfortable with their changing body, which is why it is important to dress in a way that makes you feel your best. While not every woman likes to wear dresses daily, maternity can change that, and maternity dresses can provide the perfect look and comfort during your transformation.
Whether we like it or not, instant photos are a part of life now, and there is no doubt that either you or someone else will be taking many pictures of you and your bump during your pregnancy.
That is why it is especially important to invest in some maternity dresses that are not only comfortable but also make you feel good in photos.
Your Perfect Maternity Photo Session
Maternity photos have risen in popularity over the years, and whether you plan to do a professional shoot or you just want to post some cute pictures on social media, some important tips will help you look your best.
- Accentuate your bump: While there may be times you want to hide your bump, this is usually not true in a maternity photo session. In the past, it was often considered “taboo” to emphasize your bump, but that simply isn’t true in this modern world. Now showing off your bump, especially in beautiful photos, is what makes the photos so engaging. Sundresses are a great way to show off your bump when it is hot, with a cardigan to cover in cooler weather.
- Think about your comfort: Don’t be afraid of wearing a tighter dress to show off your bump - just make sure you feel comfortable. Truly, many women love to go all out when choosing a maternity dress; however, it is just important you make sure that whatever you choose, you feel great inside and out!
- Pick a color that stands out: If you want your bump to stand out, you might want to choose colors that are vivid and bursting. While that may make you feel uncomfortable at first, remember, in a maternity photo shoot, you don’t want drab or depressing colors. Remember, you don’t have to dress like this every day, but you certainly want colors and patterns that will help accentuate your bump in pictures.
In the end, it’s all about what you want. While there are thousands of articles out there with advice on how to dress, you want to keep in mind your comfort and personality. In other words, there is no “right” or “wrong” answer when it comes to maternity photos, as long as you feel your best.
Are Maternity Dresses Really Different?
The simple answer is yes. While you can easily use an old dress in any maternity photo shoot, it might be time to invest in a dress that truly makes you shine, especially if you plan on investing in professional photos. The truth is that maternity dresses are designed to make you feel and look your best, and they truly can highlight and accentuate all the right curves in all the right places.
Relying on a dress from your closet may be a mistake, as it simply just doesn’t fit or feel the same way with your transforming body.
Besides, there are some misconceptions about maternity dresses that you need to be aware of including:
- Maternity dresses are NOT necessarily more expensive: You may find that they are exactly the same price or even cheaper than the normal dresses you purchase.
- Some think you can NEVER wear a maternity dress again: Many women find investing in a few dresses during pregnancy is worth it and save money and time in the end. Plus, many women have more than one baby or donate maternity clothes to friends, family members, or charities.
- Some believe maternity dresses are NO different than regular dresses: This is simply not the case. Everything from the styles, stitching and design are made different when it comes to maternity wear, and this may make a huge difference, especially when it comes to your comfort.
The point is that it truly is worth it to invest in maternity dresses, especially if you plan on some photo shoots, professional or not.
The Bottom Line
You no longer have to wear baggy clothes to cover or feel ashamed of your bump, which was often done in the past. Instead, there are tons of great tips out there to help you dress your best. There is an infinite amount of choices when it comes to maternity dresses, and they don’t have to break your budget.
Maternity is truly a magical time, even when difficult and painful. You want to make sure you highlight this important time in your life with the perfect pictures, and of course, the perfect maternity dress.